Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dog bite prevention

I was on a nice walk with the two pups, when we walked past a home with two children. They were about 3 or 4 years old, and were out front unsupervised. (I hadn’t seen them or I would have switched to the other side of the road.)




They started squealing, and screeching “Puppies!” When they saw Cici and Buddy. They almost ran into my dogs with their bicycles.

I steered the pups around them. The kids got frustrated. “Hey! We wanna pet the puppies!”

I told them maybe next time.

First of all, I wouldn’t let them pet my dogs without their parents present. Even if they followed all of the rules I would insist upon, I still wouldn’t let them pet Buddy.

Cici has been part of our family for 5 years. I (for the most part) know how she might react. I don’t know Buddy well enough to be comfortable letting strange children pet him.

The whole situation frustrated me so much! It is not difficult to teach bite prevention to children. On a side note: why were two 3 or 4 year olds left unattended in their front yard?

Why is this important to me? Two reasons: I was bitten by a dog as a child, and I love dogs. I don’t want children to be hurt by their ignorance and exuberance. I don’t want dogs to be put to sleep because they react when they feel threatened.


Dog bite prevention PSA. Thanks to drsophiayin.com

Some sobering statistic about dog bites:

  • Every day 1000 people seek treatment for injuries from dog bites.
  • There were 33 fatalities last year due to dog bites.
  • 61% of reported dog bites occurred to children.
Source of data.


A fantastic list to teach children, to prevent dog bites:
  • I will not stare into a dog's eyes.
  • I will not tease dogs behind fences. 
  • I will not go near dogs chained up in yards. 
  • I will not touch a dog I see loose (off-leash) outside.
  • If I see a loose dog, I will tell an adult immediately.
  • I will not run and scream if a loose dog comes near me.
  • I will stand very still (like a tree), and will be very quiet if a dog comes near me.
  • I will not touch or play with a dog while he or she is eating. 
  • I will not touch a dog when he or she is sleeping
  • I will only pet a dog if I have received permission from the dog's owner.
  • Then I will ask permission of the dog by letting him sniff my closed hand.


Bonus: There are activity sheets for children at the bottom of the page.

Putting your hand out to let a dog sniff you, is a good idea if done properly.(And if the dog seems receptive: ears back, excessive licking/smacking, teeth bared, hackles up= back off!)

Keep your hand low, palm down fingers gently curled. (Imagine your hand as a paw.)

Let the dog come to you. Do not approach the dog.

Sudden movements are not a good idea. Move slowly and fluidly. Or better yet don't move.

More great info to greet dogs properly.

More great tips for parents.

And as usual Cesar Millan's site offers fantastic advice: here

Dogs are wonderful, but they are animals. Treat them with respect, and they will do the same for you.

Be safe!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, and great advice. I've been in very similar situations, and it always leaves me feeling irritated and nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am considering making up some pamphlets about dog bites/ rules for petting. Then I can hand them out as the need arises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a bad idea at all! Maybe upload a copy here?

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought...let me know. : )