Thursday, January 19, 2012

Heirlooms

A few weeks before my birthday I received a phone call from my aunt Sammy*. She had a ring that belonged to her mother (Grandma T). She didn’t wear it and thought that I would like it.

She mailed it to me along with some family records she had. (She is part of a historical society, and has done extensive research on our family tree. )

I was so excited when the package arrived! I opened the box, pouring over the news clippings, photos and etc. She even found time capsule info for my day of birth for 1888, 1903, and my birth year!

How cool is that!?!

Then I tried the ring on. Huh, too big. Tried my thumb= still TOO big.

I must mention at this point that I have ridiculously small fingers. I mean small. My pinkie is s 3 or 4, ring finger is 5 ½ and my thumb is only an 8!

The ring unfortunately is a 9 ½.


So I went to a awesome jeweler that I trust. (They did some work on my wedding ring.) They took a look at the ring and told me the following:

The band is made of mixed metals, so I were to have it resized, some of the base metals may show, discolor, or melt. (They couldn’t guarantee the exact metal composition)



Complication; I have a nasty metal allergy. Even if they could successfully size the ring down, I still couldn’t wear it.

DANG IT!



After some brainstorming with the jeweler…we decided to drill a small hole in the top and add a bail. (loop to make it into a pendant.)



Because of the info my aunt sent…I realized that Tailfer IS the correct spelling. My bio-mom wrote it wrong on the family tree I have.

So at least that is settled!

Thanks to aunt Sammy for the awesome “pendant” and all of the information about our ancestors.

She rocks!



*I don't know how my aunt feels about having her name published on my blog, so I changed her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought...let me know. : )