Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Holiday Traditions

I had intended to publish this post weeks ago. Sometimes life gets in the way.

My gramma Honey had a bad fall and bruised her whole right side. She was in ICU for several days to monitor her heart and check for internal bleeding. She has now been moved a nursing home for recovery, and is doing well.




I had a surprise visit from one of my estranged parents on my birthday. (Wow, that was intense)

***************************

Very unexpectedly one of my co-workers died on Christmas. He was one of those rare folks who is completely genuine. He was hardworking, kind, and a devoted family man. He left behind several siblings, both of his parents, 4 children and one grandchild.

We were excused from work for a few hours to attend his funeral. It was touching, full of love and so bittersweet. He was only 53 when he passed. My heart goes out to his family.

***************************

I found out shortly after Christmas that one of my siblings are expecting their first child. (To soon to know whether it’s a boy or girl.

***************************

All of the emotional ups and downs in that last few weeks have been difficult for me. My anxiety has been unbearable. I have a difficult time functioning when I am “on anxiety high-alert.”

I had intended to write a nice round-up of traditional foods from many cultures. I even had an awesome collaboration from SpacemanSteve. Unfortunately I was unable to finish this post.

So please enjoy what I did manage to finish.

 


Czech, Slovakian:

Czech Honey Cake
 ♦Kolaches (Cookies)My grandma Mona uses a sweet dough, and stewed prunes.


Croatian:

This is an incredibly quick, easy, and hearty one-dish meal that is a perfect winter meals, and my favorite Christmas Eve tradition--especially because of the red and green peppers. It's a variation on a simple peasant recipe that probably is common in many cultures, but this version is a reminder of my Croatian grandma.

  1 package spicy sausage (I like Andouille, but keilbasa works too) 1 large red bell pepper 1 large green bell pepper 1 large onion 2 garlic cloves 2 medium sized, red potatoes or 4 small 4 tsp olive oil red pepper flakes 1/2 tsp paprika salt and pepper to taste water sour cream (for serving) Preheat the oven to about 400 degrees F .Chop sausage, peppers, onions, and washed but not peeled potatoes into similar sized chunks. Peel garlic but leave the cloves whole. In a large bowl mix olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and paprika. Add sausage, garlic, and and vegetable chunks and toss to coat meat and vegetables with oil and spices; spread onto a cookie sheet. Add a little water to the pan and bake for about 45-50 mins, turning and tossing the ingredients at intervals to prevent sticking, until potatoes are tender and sausage is crisp at the edges. Serve with sour cream.

Thanks Spacemansteve!

3 comments:

  1. My pleasure, and I hope you've been able to take a deep breath and some time for yourself now that the holidays are past. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I did end up getting sick though. :(

      Delete
  2. Boo! Me too, though I am pretty sure it is 100% due to helping clean a horribly dusty basement. No good deed goes unpunished. Getting sick is nature's way of saying take a break, or something. :P

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought...let me know. : )